Prepare for your visit
Prior to arriving for your visit to NSCL, users will need to complete the following steps before access can be granted. Please return the forms to the Manager for User Relations at least 3 weeks prior to arrival.
- Notify the Manager for User Relations of your anticipated travel dates
- Complete the Outside User Collaboration Form
- Complete the online safety training. Instructions are available here.
- If you plan to ship radioactive material, complete this Request to Ship form. Please email this completed form to: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
- Notify the Manager for User Relations if you plan to bring any equipment from your home institution
- Book your hotel – NSCL offers a reduced rate at several area hotels
- Review the “Responsibilities of Experimenters at NSCL” pdf
NSCL has special arrangements with several hotels to provide rooms at reduced rates for NSCL users and visitors, including visitors who pay their own expenses. When making your reservation, simply identify yourself as being eligible for the MSU FRIB reduced rate.
- Candlewood Suites (3545 Forest Road, Lansing, 517-351-8181) offers our visitors the special rate of $75 for Studio Suites. If you are staying more than 29 nights, ask about an even further reduced rate.
- Hyatt Place (Opened June 2015! 2401 Showtime Dr., Lansing, 517.679.7600) offers a reduced rate of $100/Night (code – FRIB) Price includes hot breakfast, WiFi, prearranged shuttle to airport and/or campus, Starbucks on site, walking distance to many restaurants and retail stores.
- Kellogg Center (55 S. Harrison Road, East Lansing, 800-875-5090) offers our users and visitors the special rate of $100 per room, plus a $5 nightly amenities fee. The amenities fee includes covered parking, airport shuttles, local and long distance calls, wireless internet, and a fitness center. Kellogg will provide transportation between the hotel and NSCL or Capitol City Airport, if arrangements are made in advance. The Kellogg Center is located on campus and is within walking distance of the laboratory.
- Marriott East Lansing (300 M.A.C. Avenue, East Lansing, 517-337-4440) offers our guests Concierge-level rooms with breakfast at $159 per night with the FRIB rate code. This hotel also provides a shuttle to the airport and campus and is located at the pickup/drop-off location of the Michigan Flyer. This hotel is within walking distance of campus, many restaurants, and retail stores
- Quality Inn (3121 East Grand River, Lansing, 517-351-1440) offers our users and visitors a special rate of $89 per room using the FRIB rate code. This rate includes a full hot breakfast, high speed internet access, and pre-arranged airport and local shuttle service. This hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants and retail stores. Quality Inn also offers a shuttle the campus and the laboratory.
- Radisson (111 N. Grand Avenue, Lansing, MI (800)333-3333) offers laboratory users and visitors the special rate of $100/night using the FRIB rate code. This hotel is connected to the Lansing Convention Center and is within walking distance of downtown Lansing and the Lansing City Market. Radisson in the Capitol is also a stop on the CATA Route 1 bus line.
- Residence Inn (Opened September 2015, 2841 Hannah Blvd, East Lansing, MI, 517-657-2875 or 1-800 Marriott (627-7468) offers users and visitors the special rate of $100/night with the FRIB rate code. Please add that the FRIB rate is based upon availability and if it’s not available, you are guaranteed the regular MSU rates. Price includes complimentary full hot breakfast, fitness, internet, coffee, business center, parking, evening mixer with hors d’oeuvres, beer & wine Mon-Wed, pool, grocery shopping service, electric car charging station. This hotel is also within walking distance of the laboratory.
- Staybridge Suites (3553 Meridian Crossings Drive, Okemos, 517-347-3044) offers users and visitors a Studio Room for 1-6 nights at $96/night, 7-14 nights $89/night, 15-29 nights $79/night, 30+ nights $69/night The hotel offers free hot breakfast, indoor pool and gym, evening socials with hot meal Tues-Thurs, and laundry facilities.
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott (2855 Hannah Boulevard, East Lansing, 517-203-1000) offers our visitors the special rate of $100 for Studio Suites. Includes a complimentary breakfast, fitness center, internet, coffee, business center, and parking. This hotel is also within walking distance of the laboratory. The FRIB rate is based upon availability and if not available, you are guaranteed the regular MSU rates.
- Several other hotels are available in East Lansing or the nearby town of Okemos; search travel Web sites such as Travelocity for more information.
Other housing options include the following; to inquire about availability, please contact the Manager for User Relations.
- Guest Apartments (on campus) In many of the MSU dormitories, there are VIP or Guest apartments which have a bedroom, a living room, and sometimes a small kitchen. NSCL is presently renting two apartments in Owen Hall and one in Van Hoosen Hall for the use of NSCL users and guests. The rate is $55 per night.
- Owen Hall (0.1 mile from NSCL) Dormitories are available at Owen Hall and are suitable for students staying for long periods of time or users with small budgets. The charge for dorm rooms at Owen Hall is $46/night.
Assistance to Experimenters
NSCL offers technical assistance compatible with Lab resources to users, for mechanical, electronic, and data acquisition needs when preparing for their experiments. All requests for technical assistance are initiated by the users submitting the form "Questionnaire for Scheduling Experiments." The NSCL provides information and design assistance to the extent that is compatible with its resources.
Prior to their arrival at the NSCL, users receive a 5-page document entitled “Responsibilities of Experimenters at NSCL”. A pdf of this document can be found here as well. The focus of this document is on the procedures that are to be followed just prior to, during, and just after the performance of the experiment. This helps both the users and the NSCL staff by communicating expectations from both sides.
When an experiment is scheduled, a member of the A1900 group is assigned as “A1900 Contact” to coordinate the planning of beam delivery. This contact person discusses with the spokesperson of the experiment the detailed secondary beam sequence plan and A1900 configuration. During the experiment, the A1900 group provides sustainable coverage of up to 16 hours/day on weekdays for full beam delivery support and on-call support in the event of facility breakdowns on nights and weekends.
For experiments using the supported major experimental devices (the A1900 fragment separator, the S800 spectrograph, the Segmented germanium array and the Sweeper magnet), the NSCL provides Device Physicists who tune the devices and make sure they operate properly. The Device Physicists also provide readout and analysis software for these devices. For non-supported devices, the NSCL provides contact persons who are knowledgeable about the devices and can be approached for assistance.
During the experiment, Data-U displays show a summary of the running conditions, for informing the users and for getting their immediate feedback.
Interaction between experimenters and NSCL Operations staff is facilitated by two brief coordination meetings held every work day at the NSCL: a general meeting at 8 AM and a beam coordination meeting at 1:45 PM. Starting two days prior to the experiment and during the experiment, the spokesperson of the experiment or a designee participates daily in both meetings.
NSCL assists its users by helping them find convenient, low-cost accommodation in hotels, guest apartments, and dormitory rooms. We also assist users with other aspects of their travel, e.g. by arranging for car rentals and pickups (by limousine or hotel van) at Lansing and Detroit airports.
Some other facilities available to our users are:
NSCL is located on the campus of Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan. We easily can be reached by car and air.
The Lansing Capital City Airport (LAN) is serviced by five airlines. Rental cars and taxis are available for the approximately 20 minute trip to NSCL.
Wayne County Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW), with its new 97-gate terminal, is serviced by all major airlines. Rental cars, the MichiganFlyer coach service and limousine service are available for the 90-120 minute trip to NSCL.
Please contact the Manager for User Relations if you need assistance with your travel or lodging arrangements.