The National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (NSCL) at Michigan State University (MSU) is searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer with a passion for equipment design. Work assignments will provide opportunities to create innovative solutions for equipment to meet challenging specifications in exotic environments and incorporate high tech materials. The work will include hands-on involvement in the fabrication, assembly & commissioning activities.
• Produce design/engineering solutions for NSCL project requirements
• Produce 2 & 3D CAD models and part documentation
• Produce specifications for procurement, assembly and operation of equip. designs
• Produce and document engineering support for design concepts
• Provide support for fabrication, assembly and commissioning activities
• Provide resource estimates for project activities
• Provide technical supervision for design support personnel
• Present design solutions for peer and project staff review
• Evaluation of trouble reports & upgrade suggestions for in-service equipment
• A Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering is required with at least one year of experience in the design and engineering of scientific research equipment or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Must be proficient in CAD/CAE software usage
• Must have the ability to independently propose and execute solutions to complex mechanical design requirements
• Must be able to absorb and work with input from a variety of experts
• Experienced and willing to work hands-on to assist mechanical assembly & trouble shooting
• Ability to organize and handle multiple concurrent assignments
MSU employees receive excellent benefits including health/dental plans, a generous retirement plan, and educational assistance.
MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and person with disabilities.
For immediate consideration, please go to www.jobs.msu.edu click on the ‘Faculty/Academic Staff’ link and search for posting number 5036 and follow the application process.
About MSU and FRIB
Michigan State University is the nation's eighth-largest university and has been selected by the US Department of Energy (DOE) to design and establish the Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB), a future DOE Office of Science national user facility (www.frib.msu.edu ). FRIB is funded through a cooperative agreement with the DOE and will take about a decade to build, cost approximately $600 million dollars and adjoins the current National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (NSCL). NSCL is funded under a separate cooperative agreement with the U.S. National Science Foundation and will continue its mission over the next decade. NSCL and FRIB currently have over 380 employees. Michigan State University is located in East Lansing, Michigan, which is part of the greater Lansing area with a population of 450,000. The Greater Lansing Region is consistently recognized for its outstanding quality of life, diversified economy, skilled workforce, big ten university sporting events and abundant cultural events and attractions that makes the region an ideal location to live, work and play (www.greaterlansinglife.com/frib/ ).
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.